Name: Jyoti Bhandari, Ph.D.
Position: Assistant Professor
Appointed Subject: Silviculture
Department: Silviculture and Forest Biology.
Academic Qualification (Education):
- 2015- Ph.D. Agricultural science, China Agricultural University, Beijing, P.R. China. (Equivalent as Ph.D. in Forestry by Tribhuvan University)
- 2010- M.Sc., Forestry Tribhuvan University, Institute of Forestry, Pokhara, Campus, Pokhara, Nepal.
- 2008- BSc in Forestry, Tribhuvan University, Institute of Forestry, Pokhara, Nepal.
Specialized knowledge on forestry and forestry related subjects. Focus on vegetation ecology. Ample knowledge onsilviculture community forestry, poverty, livelihood, biodiversity and forest conservation, ecology, climate change, forest governance, grassland management, rural development issues specially focusing on the developing countries like Nepal and somewhat India and China.
Extensive experience with field works both socio-economic and bio-physical surveys, data analysis and management and producing scientific papers in different national and international peer-reviewed journals.
- 29th December, 2016 (14th Poush 2073 B.S.) –todate Assistant Professor
Roles, Responsibilities and Job Tasks at IOF:
- To give lectures to Undergraduates (B.Sc.) Forestry students and Post Graduates (M.Sc.) Forestry, Watershed Management and Natural Resource Management and Rural Development studentson different subjects like silviculture, agroforestry, community forestry, agroforestry, research methodology, ecology, biodiversity and others.
- To develop proposals and produce technical reports related to forestry, biodiversity conservation, wetland management and climate change.
- To draft manuscripts for the publication in the international peer-reviewed journals.
- To develop concept notes and proposals
- To help students to conduct field work and research works related to forestry.
- To help students in preparing proposal and writing thesis.
- To work as a Course coordinator of M.Sc. level
- To supervise undergraduate and post graduate students with their thesis work.
- To conduct educational tours and excursions for B.Sc. as well as M.Sc. students.
Scholarships and Awards:
- 8th September, 2017. National Educational Award Category-A (Nepal BidhyaBhushanKha) from the Right Honorable President of Nepal, Mrs. Bidhya Devi Bhandari.
- September 2016, Young researcher grant to conduct Nepal Otter Network workshop in Nepal. Wildlife Reserve Singapore, IUCN Otter Survival Group.
- 5-10, September 2016. Grant to attend AsianWetlandsand Otters Training Workshop at Chimelong Penguin Hotel, Zhuhai, China.
- 21-25, August 2016. 33rd International Geographical Congress, Beijing, China
- 2-9 July 2016. Travel grant to attend 13th International Otter Congress at Singapore.
- 2011-2015. Chinese Government Scholarship. To pursue Ph. D. degree at China Agricultural University, Beijing, China.
- 1-18 November, 2015. Grant to attend the Advance Training Workshop on Ecosystem Monitoring and Management for Developing Countries.
- 25 August – 13 September, 2015. Grant to attend International Workshop on Industrial and Commercial Development of Non-Timber-Forest-Products (NTFPs) in a Sustainable Context ——- Highlighting a Sustainable Bamboo Sector, at Zhejiang, China. Supported by Ministry of Science and Technology, PR China,International Network for Bamboo and Rattan and LMFTSC
- 2011-2015. Scholarship from Chinese Government Scholarship to pursue Ph. D. degree at China Agricultural University.
- March, 2011. Conservation of Otters in Nepal. The Crowder-Messersmith Conservation FundUSA.
- February 10-15, 2011.Travel Grant to attend IUFRO Symposium on “Short Rotation Forestry: Synergies for Wood Production and Environmental Amelioration” February 10-12, 2011 and Post symposium training on “Working Effectively at the Interface of Forest Science and Forest Policy”. Supported by European Commission under Benwood Project, International Union For Forest Research Organization (IUFRO) and Punjab Agricultural University (PAU), India
- 2008-2010.WWF Russell E. Train Fellowship. To pursue Master Degree at Tribhuvan University, Institute of Forestry, Pokhara, Nepal
- June, 2010 Estimation of Carbon Stock and Spatial Distribution of Coniferous Forest of Lethe and Kunjo VDC of Mustang District, Nepal. National Trust for Nature Conservation, Annapurna ConservationArea Project. (Master thesis).
- 17-20, November, 2010. Grant to attend 9th CTWF International Workshop on Climate and Environmental Change: Challenges for Developing Countries. Supported by Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS), The Academy of Sciences for the Developing World (TWAS), and World Meteorological Organization (WMO).
- 29 August- 1 Spetember, 2010. Grant to attend International Conference for Urban Forestry in Challenging Environments, Beijing China
- March, 2010. Conservation of Otters in Nepal. The Crowder-Messersmith Conservation FundUSA.
- March, 2009. Travel grant to attend International Workshop on Working Effectively at the Interface of Forest Science and Forest Policy and International Conference on Plant Invasion and Forest Ecology Concerns and Solutions. Supported by IUFRO and Punjab University, Department of Botany, Punjab, India.
- February, 2009. Creating Forest Conservation Awareness among Students of Sigana Higher Secondary School. British Ecological Society, Educational grant.
- February,2008. Equipment Grants such as Digital Camera, Garmin GPS and Binocula rs for study of otter in Kali Gandaki River, Nepal. Supported by Idea Wild.
- October,2007. Survey and Awareness of Otter in Narayani River and Kali Gandaki River System in Nepal. Supported by River Otter Alliance, USA
- May, 2008. Conservation and Awareness of Otter inNepal. Sea World and Busch Garden Conservation Fund, USA
- April, 2007. Conservation and Awareness of Otter in Rupa Lake, Nepal. Sea World and Busch Garden Conservation Fund, USA
- November, 2007. Survey and Awareness of Bats in Annapurna Conservation Area, NepalLubee Bat Conservancy, USA( Luis F. Bacardi Bat research and Conservation fund)
- April, 2006. Conservation and Awareness of Otter in Rupa Lake, Nepal. Sea World and Busch Garden Conservation Fund, USA
- 2004-2008. To pursue Bachelor of Science in Forestry. Tribhuvan University, Institute of Forestry, Pokhara Campus, Pokhara, Nepal.
- 2001-2003. To study Intermediate of Science in Forestry. Tribhuvan University, Institute of Forestry, Pokhara Campus, Pokhara, Nepal
Trainings and Workshops Attended:
- 13-14, November, 2015. A Consultative Meeting on South-South Cooperation on Climate Change. Organized by International Ecosystem Management Partnership (IEMP) of United Nations Environment Program (UNEP). .
- 7-11 November, 2011.2nd Asia Pacific Forestry week, Beijing, China. Organized by Food and Agriculture Organization, International Union for Forest Research Organization and State Forest Administration, Beijing, China.
- 10-15 February, 2011. IUFRO Symposium on “Short Rotation Forestry: Synergies for Wood Production and Environmental Amelioration” and Post symposium training on “Working Effectively at the Interface of Forest Science and Forest Policy”. Organized by European Commission under Benwood Project, International Union For Forest Research Organization (IUFRO) and Punjab Agricultural University (PAU), India.Poster Presentation.
- 17-20 November, 2010. 9th CTWF International Workshop on Climate and Environmental Change: Challenges for Developing Countries. Organized by Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS), The Academy of Sciences for the Developing World (TWAS), and World Meteorological Organization (WMO). Paper Presentation.
- August 29-September 2, 2010. InternationalConference for Urban Forestry in Challenging Environments inBeijing, China. Organized by Beijing Forestry University (Urban Forestry Unit) and IUFRO ( Urban Forestry Unit).Paper presentation
- 14-18, March,2009. International Workshop Working Effectively at the Interface of Forest Science and Forest Policy and Workshop on Plant Invasion and Forest Ecology Concerns and Solutions, Punjab University, Punjab, India. Organized by IUFRO and Punjab University, Punjab, India.
- 19-24 June, 2007. Field techniques for research and conservation of Volant and non-Volant small mammals. Organized by Zoo Outreach Organization and Wildlife Information Liaison Development Society, India, Bat Friends, IOF, Pokhara, Nepal, CCINSA and South Asian Network, India.
- 29-30 August,2008. Bat Conservation Educator Skills Training.Zoo Outreach Organization and Wildlife Information Liaison Development Society, India, Bat Friends, IOF,Pokhara,Nepal, CCINSA and South Asian Network, India.
- Dhruba Bijaya G.C. and Jyoti Bhandari. 2017. Silvicultural Management Issues of Urban Green Spaces of Nepal: A Case Study of Pokhara City, Nepal. Silviculture for Forest Management. Proceedings of the First National Silviculture Workshop, Kathmandu, Nepal, 19-21 February 2017. Pp. 292-297.
- Jyoti Bhandari, Xuebiao Pan, Lizhen Zhang, Dhruba Bijaya G. C., Wanlin Dong, Pei Wei and Changxiu Shao. 2016. Biomass and species richness of legumes of semiarid grassland of Inner Mongolia, China. Range Management and Agroforestry. Vol. 37(1) 27-31 (Impact factor- 0.391)
- Dhruba Bijaya G.C.,Shengkui Cheng, Zengrang Xu, Jyoti Bhandari, Lingen Wang, and Xiaojie Liu. 2016. Community Forestry and Livelihood in Nepal. A Review. The Journal of Animal and Plant Sciences, Volume: 26, No. 1 pp.1-12 (Impact factor- 0.448)
- Dhruba Bijaya G.C.,Shengkui Cheng, Zengrang Xu, Jyoti Bhandari. 2015. Multidimensional Poverty in Bajhang District of Nepal. Pakistan Journal of Agricultural Sciences, Vol. 52(4): 1127-1133 (Impact factor- 1.049)
- G.C. Dhruba Bijaya, Cheng Sheng-kui, Gao Qijie, Xu Zengrang, Wang Lingen, Jyoti Bhandari, Liu Xiaojie, Gao Liwei and Cao Xiaochang. 2015. Can community forestry play a major role in the socio-economic enhancement of poor users’ in Nepal? Bulgarian Journal of Agricultural Science. Volume 21 Number 2 pp 378–383
- Jyoti Bhandari, Xuebiao Pan, Lizhen Zhang, Pei Wei, Changxiu Shao, Dhruba Bijaya G.C., Que Yue Li and Imran Mehmood. 2015. Diversity and productivity of semi-arid grassland of Inner-Mongolia: Influence of plant functional type and precipitation. Pakistan Journal of Agriculture Science. Volume 52 Number 2 pp 259-264 (Impact factor- 1.13)
- Jyoti Bhandari, Xuebiao Pan and G. C. Dhruba Bijaya. 2015. Spatial and Seasonal Variation in Rain Use Efficiency in Semiarid Grasslands of Inner Mongolia. Advances in Meteorology. Volume 2015(Impact factor- 1.34)
- Jyoti Bhandari and G. C. Dhruba Bijaya, 2011. Community Forestry: The Centre for Biodiversity Conservation. Indian Journal of Ecology Volume 38 (Special Issue) pp 166-168
- G.C., DB and Bhandari, J. 2010. Carbon sequestration potential and uses of Dendrocalamusstrictus. A case study from Baglung District, Sigana VDC, Nepal. IUFRO World Series Vol. 27 pp 62-66
- Bhandari, J. and G.C. DB. 2008. Preliminary survey and awareness for otter conservation in Rupa Lake, Pokhara, Nepal. Journal of Wetlands Ecology. Volume 1 Number 2 pp 2
- Reviewer of different national and international journals.
Mobile: +977-9846210469 Landline: 061430571