Name: Bishnu Prasad Devkota, PhD
Position: Assistant Professor
Appointed Subject: Forest Mensuration
Department: Department of Social Forestry & Forest Management
- PhD in Forestry, 2019: University of Eastern Finland, Faculty of Science and Forestry, Joensuu, Finland.
- M. Sc Forestry, 2009: Tribhuvan University, Institute of Forestry, Pokhara, Nepal.
- B.Sc Forestry, 2005: Tribhuvan University, Institute of Forestry, Pokhara, Nepal.
- Assistant Professor (Mar. 2012 onwards): Institute of Forestry, Tribhuvan University, Nepal.Responsibility: Teaching M. Sc and B. Sc level (Forest Mensuration, Forest Management, Wildlife Management and Conservation), Thesis supervision and Research.
- Assistant Professor/Academic Coordinator (Sep. 2010 to Feb. 2012): Kathmandu Forestry College, Nepal. Responsibility: Teaching B. Sc level (Forest Management, Forest Mensuration, Tree Improvement and Silviculture), Project Paper Supervision, and Administrative role.
- Training Officer (Mar. 2007 to Feb. 2008): Northern Mountains Conservation Project/ WWF Nepal, Nepal. Responsibility: Conducting training, Report writing and Facilitation.
- Khanal, Y.M. and Devkota, B.P. (2020). Farmers’responsibilization in payments for environmental services: Lessons from community forestry in Nepal. Forest Policy and Economics, 118 (102237) https://doi.org/10.1016/j.forpol.2020.102237
- Devkota, B.P. 2020. Social inclusion and deliberation in response to REDD+ in Nepal´s community forestry. Forest Policy and Economics, 111. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.forpol.2019.102048
- Mustalahti, I., Gutierrez-Zamora, V., Hyle, M., Devkota, B.P. and Tokola, N. 2020. Responsibilization in natural resources governance: A romantic doxa? Forest Policy and Economics, 111. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.forpol.2019.102033
- Hyle, M.A., Devkota, B.P. and Mustalahti, I. 2019. From blueprints to empowerment of disadvantaged groups in natural resource governance: Lessons from Nepal and Tanzania. International Journal of the Commons 13(2):1062-1078. https://doi.org/10.5334/ijc.951
- Shrestha, A., Thapa, K., Subba, S.A., Dhakal, M., Devkota, B.P., Thapa, G.J., Shrestha, S., Malla, S. and Thapa, K. 2019. Cat, canines and coexistence: Dietry differentation between the sympatric snow leopard and grey wolf in the western landscape of Nepal Himalaya. Journal of Threatned Taxa 11 (7): 13815-13821. https://doi:10.11609/jott.4184.108.40.20615-13821
- Devkota, B. P. and Mustalahti, I. 2018. Complexities in accessing REDD+ benefits in community forestry: evidence from Nepal`s Terai region. The International Forestry Review 20(3): 332-345. https://doi.org/10.1505/146554818824063041
- Khanal, G., Paudel, L., Devkota, B. P., Ranabhat, R. and Wegge, P. 2018. Status and conservation of the snow leopard Panthera uncia in Api Nampa Conservation Area, Nepal. Oryx 1-8. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0030605318000145
- Thapa, S., Katuwal, H.B., Gurung, R., Kusi, N., Devkota, B., Shrestha, B. and Suwal, T.S. 2018. Pikas in Nepal. Small Mammals Conservation and Research Foundation, Kathmandu, Nepal. 62pp.
- Devkota, B.P., Silwal, T., Shrestha, B.P., Sapkota, A.P., Lakhey, S.P. and Yadav, V.K. 2017. Abundance of snow leopard (Panthera uncia) and its wild prey in Chhekampar VDC, Manaslu Conservation Area, Nepal. Banko Janakari 27(1), 11-20. http://dx.doi.org/10.3126/banko.v27i1.18545
- Thapa, S., Katuwal, H.B., Koirala, S., Dahal, B.V., Devkota, B., Rana, R., Dahal, H., Karki, R., Basnet, H. 2016. Sciuridae (Order: Rodentia) in Nepal. Small Mammals Conservation and Research Foundation, Kathmandu, Nepal. 69pp.
- Lacuna-Richman, C., Devkota, B.P. and Richman, M. A. 2016. Users´priorities for good governance in community forestry: Two cases from Nepal´s Terai region. Forest Policy and Economics 65: 69-78. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.forpol.2015.11.005
- Shrestha, B.P. and Devkota, B.P. 2013. Carbon stocks in the oak and pine forests in Salyan district, Nepal. Banko Janakari, 23(2): 30-36. http://dx.doi.org/10.3126/banko.v23i2.15478
- Silwal, T., Shrestha, B.P., Bhatta, B.P. and Devkota, B.P. 2013. Revenue distribution pattern and park-people conflict in Chitwan National Park, Nepal. Banko Janakari 23(1): 35-41. http://dx.doi.org/10.3126/banko.v23i1.9465
- Devkota, B.P., Silwal, T. And Kolejka, J. 2013. Prey density and diet of snow leopard (Uncia uncia) in Shey Phoksundo National Park, Nepal. Applied Ecology and Environmental Sciences, 1 (4): 55-60. http://pubs.sciepub.com/aees/1/4/4/
- Shrestha, B.P. and Devkota, B.P. 2011. Status of critically endangered vultures in Dang Deukhuri foothill forests and West Rapti wetlands. The Initiation 4:28-34. http://dx.doi.org/10.3126/init.v4i0.5533
- Devkota, B.P. and Dhaubhadel, S.P. 2010. Livestock predation by snow leopard (Uncia uncia) in Shey Phoksundo National Park, Nepal. Proceeding of the National conference on Forest – People Interaction, June 7-8, 2010, Pokhara. Balla, M.K. and Singh, A. (Eds), Institute of Forestry, Pokhara, Nepal. pp 221-229
Project Leadership and Consultancy
|2017||Social Marketing Advisor: The projects of the Conservation Science Department of Chester Zoo. The North of England Zoological Society. 100 Old Hall Street, Liverpool, England. (October-November).|
|2017||Team Member: Study on effectiveness of buffer zone program in Sagarmatha National Park, Nepal. Peoples Help Group/Sagarmatha National Park, Namche Bazar, Nepal. (April-June)|
|2015||Principal Investigator: Diet analysis of snow leopard in Western Complex, Nepal. Green Governance Nepal/WWF Nepal, Kathmandu, Nepal. (January – March).|
|2014||Team Leader: Assessment of snow leopard status and distribution in Western Nepal (Dolpa, Mugu and Darchula district). Green Governance Nepal/WWF Nepal, Kathmandu, Nepal. (March – May).|
|2012||Team Leader: Human- snow leopard conflict mitigation project-II, Dolpa, Nepal.
(January – December).
|2011||Co-investigator: Status and distribution of snow leopard (Uncia uncia) and its prey species in Manaslu Conservation Area, Nepal. Memorial Centre of Excellence/Institute of Forestry, Pokhara, Nepal.|
|2010||Lead Trainer: Community based forest fire management training. Green Governance Nepal/WWF Nepal, Lelep, Taplejung, Nepal. (April).|
|2009||Team Leader: Human- snow leopard conflict mitigation project, Dolpa, Nepal. (June, 2009 – May, 2010).|
Conference & Seminar Presentations
|Year||Conference / Seminar|
|Year||Training / Workshops|
|2018:||Towards Responsive Natural Resource Governance: Academic Workshop. Amani Nature Reserve, Tanzania (4 days).|
|Reviewing for Academic Journals: A Focus on Social Sciences. University of Eastern Finland, Joensuu, Finland (1 day).|
|2014:||Data analysis and scientific writing. IOF/ComForM, Pokhara, Nepal, (5 days).|
|Training Seminar on Applied Statistical Analysis with R for Forestry Studies, Risk Analysis Research Center, Institute of Statistical Mathematics, Japan and Tribhuvan University, Institute of Forestry, Pokhara, Nepal, (3 days).|
|2011:||Tree growth and climate effects modeling, IOF/ComForM//NAST, Kathmandu, Nepal, (7 days).|
|2009:||Database Management (MS Access) Training, Institute of Forestry/NUFU Project, Pokhara, (4 days).|
|Introductory Training on Social Analysis System, Institute of Forestry/LI-BIRD/IDRC-CRDI, Pokhara, (2 days).|
|Training, Moderation and Facilitation Skills Training, MSR Development Support Institute in Kathmandu, Nepal, (10 days).|
Fellowships & Grants
|Year||Fellowships and Grants|
|2018:||Post Graduate Study Grant, University of Eastern Finland, Joensuu, Finland|
|2015:||Centre for International Mobility Fellowship, Helsinki, Finland|
|2011:||Second Rufford Small Grant for Nature Conservation: Rufford Foundation, London, UK.|
|2007:.||Education for Nature, Russell E. Train Fellowship: World Wildlife Fund, USA|
- Australia, Austria, Belgium, China, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, India, Japan, Netherlands, Sweden, Switzerland and Tanzania.
Affiliation with Professional Bodies
- Full Member, The Snow Leopard Network, Seattle, USA
- General Member, Nepal Forester’s Association, Kathmandu, Nepal
- General Member, Treering Society of Nepal, Kathmandu, Nepal
- General Member, Tribhuvan University Teachers Association, Nepal
Krishna Raj Tiwari, PhD. Dean and Professor. Tribhuvan University, Institute of Forestry, Kathmandu, Nepal. [email protected]
Irmeli Mustalahti, PhD. Professor, University of Eastern Finland, Finland. [email protected]