Name: Bijaya Neupane
Position: Assistant Professor, Tribhuvan University, Institute of Forestry
Subject: Wildlife and Protected Area Management
Department: Park Recreation and Wildlife Management
- Master of Science in International Environmental Studies (2010-2013)
- Master of Science in Applied Ecology (2013-2015)
- B.Sc. in Forestry Science (2004-2008)
Areas of Expertise
- Wildlife biology, wildlife conservation, wildlife management, biodiversity conservation, conservation biology, protected area management, natural resource management
Major Duties and Responsibilities at Present
- Course instructor for various ecology and wildlife courses for both bachelor and master levels
- Supervise students’ thesis for both bachelor and master levels
- Provide trainings and practical knowledge during excursion, educational tour and field practices for the students
- Actively participate and provide assistance in conducting various trainings and workshops that are essential for capacity building for both faculties and students
- Assist the academic and other institutions in drafting the scientific proposals, articles and reports
- Encourage the students to participate in the practical works and involve in several local level conservation organizations
- Providing guest lectures in different other forestry and wildlife institutions of Nepal
- Statistical knowledge on different data analytical tools including Excel, SPSS, R, Sigma plot, SAS, Distance, Capture, etc.
- Good knowledge and practical skills of GIS and Remote sensing
- Familiar with handling scientific devices: GPS, VHF, Range Finder and Compass
- Good computer skills (Proficiency in Ms word, Excel and Power Point)
- Good writing skills- possesses experiences in drafting and reviewing several proposals, reports, book chapters and scientific articles.
Proficiency in English language
- Good academic background in English Medium: Education obtained in English medium from school level to the higher university level
- Valid IELTS Score: Has passed International English Language Testing System “IELTS” with band score 7 (Result published on 24th February 2021)
- Teaching Experiences in English Medium: Has taught the students in English medium during the course of teaching period in schools and colleges till present
- Supervisor and reviewer of journal articles, reports and thesis in English Medium: Possesses lots of experiences regarding supervision and revision works of bachelor and master’s students’ research, independent research, journal manuscripts and collaborative research of the institutions in English medium
i. Teaching experiences
1. As an Assistant Professor in Kathmandu Forestry College, Koteshwor, Kathmandu in 2016 for about one year
Expertise areas: Wildlife management, Environmental Science, Community Based Forest Management, Protected Area Management, Climate change and similar other courses
- Providing knowledge and ideas related to present issues of wildlife management in different protected areas of Nepal
- Training students to be familiar with different wildlife monitoring techniques in the field
- Creating awareness about several global and local environmental issues and recommending suitable measures to address such problems
- Enhancing the analytical skills and capabilities of students
2.As a B.Sc. forestry entrance exam preparation teacher in Tribhuvan University, Institute of Forestry, Pokhara, Nepal for two years (2007 and 2008)
- Preparing materials for reading for B.Sc forestry entrance preparation students
- Providing knowledge and ideas in various disciplines of forestry focused on more in- depth studies
3. As a secondary level Science teacher (Physics, Chemistry and Biology) in two schools: Paramount Public School and Santideep English School, Pokhara, Gandaki Zone, Nepal for two years (2008 to 2010)
- Providing various scientific concepts on science linked with our surroundings and that can be used in our daily life
- Providing knowledge and practical ideas on different scientific tools and equipment
- Encouraging the students to promote the healthy environment by reducing the negative impacts of human activities on the environment
ii. Training and Supervision experiences
- Provided trainings on scientific writings for intermediate and bachelor level students of Kathmandu Forestry College, Kathmandu, Nepal in October 2016
- Provided wildlife monitoring techniques trainings for students of Institute of Forestry, Hetauda campus, Hetauda, Nepal in December 2016
- Supervised the thesis and research works of 10 students studying in final year of Intermediate in Forestry Science (I.Sc Forestry) in Kathmandu Forestry College, Nepal in 2016
- Supervised the thesis and research works of more than 40 students studying in final year of B.Sc. and M.Sc. Forestry as well as Wildlife Management and Biodiversity Conservation at Tribhuvan University, Institute of Forestry, Pokhara Campus, Pokhara since 2016 till present
iii. Major Fieldwork Experiences
- Has completed the research entitled “Socio-economic contribution of non-timber forest product Zanthoxylum armatum in the household income of rural people in Myagdi district of Nepal” from January to December 2020.
- Has completed the research entitled “Assessment of floral and faunal diversity and their influencing factors in Tibrekot Community Forest, Hemja, Kaski and Panchase Protected Forest, Bharang, Kaski, Nepal” from February 2019 to August 2020.
- Worked in the research project “Analysing the cost effectiveness of water related ecosystem based adaptation options in Panchase, Kaski, Nepal” in 2017/18 for about 1 year
- Worked in the research entitled “Human and Asiatic wild elephant conflicts in surrounding areas of Jalthal forest in Jhapa district Nepal” in 2017 for one year
- Surveyed waterfowl and gharial crocodile in Rapti river of Chitwan National Park, Nepal during December 2016
- Worked and estimated the density of bird species through point sampling in Parsa Wildlife Reserve, Nepal in August/September 2016
- Worked and estimated the density of spotted deer (Axis axis) in Parsa Wildlife Reserve, Nepal based on pellet count method in May 2016
- Worked and studied on parasitic worms on different rodent species of Sweden during March-June, 2014
- Worked and estimated Forest carbon in Jalbire Mahila CF and Laxmi Mahila CF of Nepal during February to April, 2012
- Prepared Constitution and Operational Plan of different community forests of mid-hills of Nepal during year 2009 and 2010
- Assisted on the research works related to tree inventory and measurement of growing stocks in different community forests (CF) of Nepal in Tanahun and Lamjung districts of Nepal several times during years 2006 and 2007
Academic Awards and Achievements
- “Free Student Union Award” from FSU, Institute of Forestry, Pokhara, Nepal (2003): For achieving highest marks in the Intermediate Level (ISc Forestry) from Tribhuvan University, Institute of Forestry, Nepal (Type of Award: Campus level)
- “Environment Science Award” from Nepal Heritage Society, Bhadrakali, Nepal (2003): For securing highest marks in the Intermediate Level (ISc Forestry) exam conducted by Tribhuvan University, Institute of Forestry, Nepal (Type of Award: National level)
- “Fadindra Smriti Scholarship Award” from Regional Office, Prithivi Narayan Multiple Campus, Pokhara, Nepal (2004): As a Kaski District topper in the Intermediate Level (ISc Forestry) exam conducted by Tribhuvan University, Institute of Forestry, Nepal (Type of Award: Regional level)
- “Certificate of Achievement” from the Campus Chief, Institute of Forestry, Pokhara, Nepal (2004): As a university topper in the faculty of forestry science in the intermediate level (ISc Forestry) exam conducted by Tribhuvan University, Institute of Forestry, Nepal (Type: University level)
- “Free Student Union Award” from FSU, Institute of Forestry, Pokhara, Nepal (2005 and 2007): For achieving highest marks in the Bachelor Level (BSc Forestry) in the first and third year level exams conducted by Tribhuvan University, Institute of Forestry, Nepal (Type of Award: Campus level)
- Sadadev B M, Silwal T, Dhami B, Thapa N, Neupane B, Rana A, Singh H B. Do grassland burning practices affect the distribution of the Hispid hare, Caprolagus hispidus (Pearson, 1839)? A study at the Shuklaphanta National Park, Nepal. JAD. 2021; 3 (3) URL: http://jad.lu.ac.ir/article-1-170-en.html (accepted)
- Poudel, B., Neupane, R. Joshi, T. Silwal, N. Raut & D.R. Thanet (2021). Factors affecting the species richness and composition of bird species in a community managed forest of Nepal. Journal of Threatened Taxa 13(9): xxxxx–xxxxx. https://doi.org/10.11609/jott.6945.13.9.xxxxx-xxxxx (accepted)
- Neupane, B., Chhetri, N. B. and Dhami, B. 2021. Habitat selection of Himalayan Musk Deer Moschus leucogaster (Mammalia: Artiodactyla: Moschidae) with respect to biophysical attributes in Annapurna Conservation Area of Nepal. Journal of Threatened Taxa, 13(7): 18703-18712. https://doi.org/10.11609/jott.67184.108.40.20603-18712
- Miya, M. S., Gautam, D., Neupane, B. and Chhetri, A. 2021. Species diversity and abundance of Odonata in Sishaghat of Tanahun district, Nepal. Journal of Animal Diversity, 3 (3). URL: http://jad.lu.ac.ir/article-1-116-en.html (accepted)
- Timilsina, S., Mishra, R., Adhikari, A., Gautam, S. and Neupane, B. Status, distribution and threats of the Fishing cat Prionailurus viverrinus (Bennett, 1833) in Nepal – A review. Journal of Animal Diversity, 3 (2). URL: http://jad.lu.ac.ir/article-1-117-en.html (accepted)
- Dhami, B., Timilsina, S., Adhikari, A., Neupane, B., Chhetri, N.B., Sharma, A., Paudel, A., Miya, M.S., Sharma, B and Chhetri, A. 2021. Research trends, conservation issues and approaches on endangered Red panda (Ailurus fulgens): a systematic review of literature across the home-range. Journal of Animal Diversity, 3 (2). URL: http://jad.lu.ac.ir/article-1-130-en.html
- Subedi, B., Stewart, A.B., Neupane, B., Ghimire, S. and Adhikari, H. 2020. Butterfly species diversity and their floral preferences in the Rupa wetland of Nepal. Ecology and Evolution, 11 (5): 2086-2099.
- Chhetri, N.B., Dhami, B., Neupane, B., Sadadev, B.M. and Thapa, N. 2020. Distributional evidences and threats to Cheer Pheasant (Catreus wallichii) in Annapurna Conservation Area of Nepal. Nepalese Journal of Zoology, 4 (2): 140-146.
- Bhusal, A., Neupane, B., Bhattarai, S., Kapali, A., Bhatta, S., & Bajagain, S. (2020). Breeding seasonality of Chital (Axis axis) in the Hetauda Valley of Nepal. Forestry: Journal of Institute of Forestry, Nepal, 17, 174-183.
- Joshi, G., Neupane, B., Dahal, D., Shrestha, S., Dhakal, P., Jandug, C. M. B. and Gautam, D. 2020. Assessment of human wildlife conflict in Kailali district of Nepal. Journal of Animal Diversity, 2 (3): 24-36.
- Neupane, B., Singh, B. K., Poudel, P., Panthi, S. and Khatri, N. D. 2020. Habitat occupancy and threat assessment of gharial (Gavialis gangeticus) in the Rapti River, Nepal, Global Ecology and Conservation, 24, e01270.
- Thapa, R., Neupane, B., Ranabhat, S., Poudel, M. and Panthi, S. 2020. Habitat suitability of wild water buffalo (Bubalus arnee) in Babai flood plain of Bardia National Park, Nepal, Global Ecology and Conservation, 23 (9): 34-48.
- Dhami, B., Sadadev, B.M., Thapa, N., Bista, S., Rawat, Y.B., Neupane, B. and Gautam, D. 2020. Exploring Distributional Evidences and Threats to Initiate Conservation of Great Hornbill (Buceros bicornis) in Nepal, Archives of Agriculture Research and Technology, 1 (3): 10-14.
- Pokhrel, K., Poudel, P., Neupane, B. and Paudel, R. 2019. Comparative Study in Habitat Suitability Analysis of Wild Water buffalo (Bubalus arnee) in Two Flood Plains of Chitwan National Park (CNP), Nepal. International Journal of Research Studies in Zoology, 5 (3): 1-10.
- Khatri, N. D., Neupane, B., Timilsina, Y. P. and Ghimire, S. 2019. Assessment of Avifaunal Diversity and Threats to them in Phewa Wetland, Nepal. Forestry: Journal of Institute of Forestry, Nepal, 16: 31-47.
- Neupane, B., Miller, A., Evans, A., Olsson, G. and Höglund, J. Seasonal variation of Mastophorus muris (Nematoda : Spirurida) in the water vole Arvicola amphibious from southern Sweden. Journal of Helminthology: 1-4.
- Neupane, B., Budhathoki, S. and Khatiwoda, B. 2018. Study on Human-elephant Conflict and its Mitigation Measure in Jhapa district, Nepal. Journal of Forest and Livelihood, 16 (1): 103-112.
- Neupane, B. and Sharma, R.P. An assessment of the effect of vegetation size and type, and altitude on above ground plant biomass and carbon. Journal of Agriculture and Crop Research, 2(3): 44-50.
- Neupane, B. 2014. Caste-wise differences in livelihood activities that affected adaptation against extreme weather events and climate variability. Journal of Agriculture and Crop Research, 2 (4): 71-82.
Oral Presentations On Conferences
- 6th Conference of The Scandinavian-Baltic Society for Parasitology: 23-24 April 2015, Uppsala, Sweden
Presented on the topic “Seasonal variation of spirurian nematode Mastophorus muris in water voles (Arvicola amphibius) in southern Sweden”.
- International Conference on Wild Harvests, Governance and Livelihoods in Asia: 30th November to 2nd December 2017, Kathmandu, Nepal
Presented on the topic “Solar-powered fence for mitigating human elephant conflict and contributing local livelihoods in Jhapa district, Nepal”.
Principal Investigator/Co-Investigator Roles in the Research Projects
Name of the Project: Situation of human elephant conflict (HEC) and approaches for mitigating HEC in surrounding VDCs of Jalthal forest in Jhapa district, Nepal
- Role: Principal Investigator
- Project Duration: 1 Year (in 2017)
Name of the Project: Analysing the cost effectiveness of water related ecosystem based adaptation options in Panchase, Kaski, Nepal
- Role: Co-Investigator
- Project Duration: 1 Year (2017/2018)
Name of the Project: Assessment of floral and faunal diversity and their influencing factors in Tibrekot Community Forest, Hemja, Kaski and Panchase Protected Forest, Bharang, Kaski, Nepal
- Role: Principal Investigator
- Project Duration: 1 Year (2019/2020)
Name of the Project: Socio-economic contribution of non-timber forest product Zanthoxylum armatum in the household income of rural people in Myagdi district Nepal
- Role: Principal Investigator
- Project Duration: 1 Year (2019/2020)
E-mail: [email protected] and [email protected]
Phone: Phone: 977(0)61-432002
ORCID Id: https://orcid.org/0000-0003-1215-689X
Research Gate: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Bijaya-Neupane