Name: Mahendra Singh Thapa
Position: Assistant Professor & Assistant Dean (Planning and Academics)
Appointed Subject: Geographical Information System (GIS)
Department: Watershed Management and Environmental Science
- M.Sc. in Natural Resource Management and Rural Development from IOF, TU, Nepal in 2007 AD
- PG Diploma in RS and GISwith application in Forest Mapping and Monitoring , Forest Inventory, Forest Informatics and Forest Ecosystem Analysis and Modeling from CSSTEAP, IIRS, Dehradun, Indiain 2014 AD
- B.Sc. Forestry from IOF TU, Nepal in 2005
Interest Area: Remote Sensing and GIS application in Natural Resource Management, Climate change and Biodiversity, Mountain Ecology, Forest Resource Assessment, Research, Conservation and Development.
- Building Climate Change Resilience through Community Based Natural Waterholes Conservation in Lamjung Districtwith the support from SCIFOR Project, Denmark (ongoing Research)
- Digital Demarcation and Mapping of Forest Area of the Jhapa District Forest Officewith the support from Department of Forest (Completed in 2015)
- Climate Change Resilience and Natural Waterholes Conservation Action Plan Preparation in Tamagadhi CFM, Barawith the support from WWF Nepal (Completed in 2015)
- Documentation of climate change related activities initiated by NESTin 2011, at project site of Livelihood plus Project with the support of FELM Nepal
- Entrepreneurial Capacity Building of Ex-Kamlahari girls on Off-farm enterprise developmentlaunched at Dang district from February 2008 –Dec, 2009 with the support of Plan Nepal Banke.
- Inventory of Cinnamomumtamala of Syangja District in consultation with Rangers Association Nepal (RAN) Syangja in the grant assistance of Natural Resource Management Sector Assistance Program (NARMSAP) Pokhara in 2005
- Feasibility study of Income Generation Activities in Community Forests of Hansapur and DhikurpokhariVDC of Kaski District and TaksarVDC of Syangja District”, supported by NARMSAP Pokhara in 2004
- Assessment of Annual Harvestable Volume of Tejpat and Dalchini at Walling Pocket of BDS-MaPSSyangja”, with the financial assistance of Business Development Services Marketing, Production and Services (BDS-MaPS) in 2004
- Community Need Assessment and Training Need Assessment on Non-timber forest products and agro forestry design and development for the freed Kamaiya in KailaliDistrict” with the support of Action-aid Nepal in 2008
- Training needs assessment of Kamalahari girls in the Dang District, with the support of Plan Nepal Banke in 2009
- Pokhrel, G., Upadhyaya, and Thapa, M.S. (2019): Threats and Conservation of Paris polyphylla: Vulnerable Medicinal Plant in Panchase Protected Forest, Nepal, Forestry: Journal of Institute of Forestry, Nepal. Vol 16 pp 11 – 30.
- Thapa MS, Lama, S., and Pariyar, S. (2019) : Spatial Temporal Dynamics of Human Elephant Conflict in Parsa-Bagmati Corridor of Terai Arc Landscape, Nepal. eJournal of Applied Forest Ecology (eJAFE) , Vol. 7. No. 2, PP 1-6.
- Sharma,R P and Thapa MS (2019): Soil Fertility and Soil Quality Index inTibrekot, Community Forest, Western Nepal. eJournal of Applied Forest Ecology (eJAFE) , Vol. 7. No. 1, PP 37-46
- Thapa M. S., Poudel G. (2018): Assessing the Coverage of Urban Green Space in Butwal Sub-Metropolitan City, Nepal: A GIS based approach. Forestry: Journal of Institute of Forestry, Nepal. Vol. 15: pp 77 – 86.
- Thapa M. S., KC Baburam (2017): Management Practice of Cinnamomum tamala in Eladi VDC of Syangja District. Himalayan Biodiversity, an International Journal of Life Sciences Vol 5 No.1 Page 57-65.
- KC Baburam, Thapa M. S. (2017): Physiographic Condition of Berginia ciliate: a case study from Sanlapsi Sitalban Community Forest, Kaski Neapal. Kalika Journal of Multidisciplinary studies Vol 1 pp 1-13.
- Thapa, M.S. (2015). Modelling and Mapping of Aboveground Carbon Stock Integrating LISS-IV and Cartosat-1 imagery of Timli forest Range, Dehradun India Himalayan Biodiversity, an International Journal of Life Sciences Vol 3 Number 1 PP 71- 77.
- Thapa, M.S.(2015). Modeling and Mapping of Aboveground Woody Carbon Stock Integrating Very High Resolution Satellite Imagery and Field Inventory in Bagmara Community Forest, Chitwan Nepal with the support of NORHED Project
- Thapa, M.S.(2014). Assessment and Mapping Aboveground Carbon Stock using High Resolution Satellite Imagery in Doon Valley Uttarakhand, India. CSSTEAP, IIRS, Dehradun.
- Thapa, M.S.(2013). Sustainable Community Forest Management; Socioeconomic and ecological Perspective, A case study of Salesh Community Forest, Udayapur District, Nepal” National Symposium on Remote Sensing and GIS for Environment with special emphasis on Marine and coastal Dynamics” organized by Indian Society of Geomatics (ISG) and Indian Society of Remote Sensing (ISRS), December 4-6, 2013 Andhra University Visakhapatnam
- Thapa, M.S.(2013). Socio-economic impact assessment of RastrapatiChure Conservation Project (RCCP) in Makawanpur, Bara, Parsa, Rautahat and Udaypur District of Nepal, a research report submitted to Ministryof Forest and Soil Conservation
- Thapa, M. S. (2010). Climate Change: Consequences and its solution measures. NEST INSIGHTyear 5, Issue 2, a Publication of NEST Pokhara Nepal
- Thapa, M. S. (2009).Alternative Energy; bio- briquette and rice husk stove NEST INSIGHTpublication No 7, booklet published by NEST Pokhara Nepal
- Thapa, M. S. (2009). Dedication of Freed Kamalahari Girls towards Bamboo Handicraft Production Enterprises’ in NEST INSIGHT year 5, Issue 1, a Publication of NEST Pokhara Nepal
- Thapa, M. S. (2008).Role of forest for the livelihood of freed Kamaiya and Raji community. NEST INSIGHT, year 4, a Publication of NEST, Pokhara Nepal
- Thapa, M.S.(2007). Market Potentiality of Tropical Timber Species in Terai Community Forest of Nepal Bisep-ST – Nepal
- Thapa, M.S.(2005). Assessment of Management Practice of Cinnamomumtamala in SyangjaDistrict.NARMSAP Pokhara, Nepal
- Thapa, M. S. (2003). Environmental Awareness through Eco-club Formation in GREENERY, an annual magazine published by Self-Help Environmental Awareness Camp (SHEAC), IOF Pokhara Nepal
- Thapa, M. S. (2002). A brief description about BESAR’ in PRABHAT, an annual magazine published by IOF, Pokhara Nepal
- General Member of British Ecological Society (BES) UK.
- Life member of the “Nepal Red Cross Society”.
- Founder President of Research Conservation and Development Nepal (RCDN), Pokhara Nepal.
- Life Member of Nepal Foresters Association (NFA)