Name : Kishor Atreya, PhD
Position : Associate Professor
Campus: Tribhuvan University, Institute of Forestry, Pokhara Campus
Subject : Mountain Environment and Development
Department: Watershed Management and Environmental Science
- PhD in Environment and Development
- MSc in Environmental Science
- Agri-environment, health risk assessment, climate change and adaptation, nature-people relationships, and economic valuation of nature services and de-services.
Research and Publications
- S. Charmakar, B.N. Oli, N.R. Joshi, T.N. Maraseni, K. Atreya (2020). Forest carbon storage and species richness in FSC certified and non-certified community forests of Nepal. Small -scale Forestry, [IN PRESS]
- K. Atreya, N. Sharma Rimal, S. Bhattarai, S. Sapkota, S. Adhikari, J. Karki, and G. Pohl (2020). Vulnerable family members and income in Chepang minority. Economic Journal of Development Studies, [IN PRESS]
- K. Atreya, B.P. Subedi, P. L. Ghimire, S.C. Khanal, S. Pandit (2020). A review on history of organic farming in the current changing context in Nepal. Archives of Agricultural and Environmental Science, 5(3): 406-418. https://doi.org/10.26832/
- G. Bhandari, K. Atreya, P. T. J. Scheepers, V. Geissen V (2020). Concentration and distribution of pesticide residues in soil: Non-dietary human health risk assessment. Chemosphere, 253:126594. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.
- P. Lamsal, K. Atreya, M. K. Ghosh, and K. P. Pant (2019). Effects of population, land cover change, and climatic variability on wetland resource degradation in a Ramsar listed Ghodaghodi Lake Complex, Nepal. Environmental Monitoring and Assessment, 191: 415. https://doi.org/10.1007/
- G. Bhandari, P. Zomer, K. Atreya, H. G. J. Mol, X. Yang, and V. Geissen (2019). Pesticide residues in Nepalese vegetables and potential health risks. Environmental Research, 172: 511-521. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.
- P. Lamsal, L. Kumar, K. Atreya, and K. P. Pant (2018). Forest ecosystem services in Nepal: a retrospective synthesis, research gaps and implications in the context of climate change. International Forestry Review, 20(4): 506-537. https://doi.org/10.1505/
- P. Lamsal, L. Kumar, A. Aryal, and K. Atreya (2018). Invasive alien plant species dynamics in the Himalayan region under climate change. Ambio, 47 (6): 697-710. https://doi.org/10.1007/
- G. Bhandari, K. Atreya, X. Yang, L. Fan, and V. Geissen (2018). Factors affecting pesticide safety behaviour: The perception of Nepalese farmers and retailers. Science of the Total Environment, 631-632: 1560-1571. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.
- K. Atreya, D. Pyakurel, K.S. Thagunna, L.D. Bhatta, Y. Uprety, R.P. Chaudhary, B.N. Oli, and S.K. Rimal (2018). Factors contributing to the decline of traditional practices in communities from the Gwallek-Kedar area, Kailash Sacred Landscape, Nepal. Environmental Management, 61(5): 741-755. https://doi.org/10.1007/
- P. Lamsal, L. Kumar, A. Aryal, and K. Atreya (2018). Future climate and habitat distribution of Himalayan Musk Deer (Moschus chrysogaster). Ecological Informatics, 44: 101-108. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.
- P. Lamsal, L. Kumar, S. Shabani, and K. Atreya (2017). Future warming shifts climatic suitability of native Himalayan tree species. Journal of Earth Science and Climate Change, 8: 10. https://doi.org/10.4172/2157-
- P. Lamsal, L. Kumar, S. Shabani, and K. Atreya (2017). The greening of the Himalayas and Tibetan Plateau under climate change. Global and Planetary Change, 159: 77-92. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.
- P. Lamsal, L. Kumar, K. Atreya, and K. P. Pant (2017). Vulnerability and impacts of climate change on forest and freshwater wetland ecosystems in Nepal: A review. Ambio, 46 (8): 915-930. https://doi.org/10.1007/
- P. Lamsal, L. Kumar, and K. Atreya (2017). Historical evidence of climatic variability and changes, and its effect on high altitude regions: insights from Rara and Langtang, Nepal. International Journal of Sustainable Development & World Ecology, 24(6): 471-484. https://doi.org/10.1080/
- P. Lamsal, K. Atreya, K.P. Pant, and L. Kumar (2016). Tourism and wetland conservation: application of travel cost and willingness to pay for entry fee at Ghodaghodi Lake Complex, Nepal. Natural Resources Forum, a United Nations Sustainable Development Journal, 40(1-2): 51-61. https://doi.org/10.1111/1477-
- R.M. Bajracharya, K. Atreya, N. Raut, H.L. Shrestha, D.K. Gautam and N.R. Dahal (2015). Sustainable diversified agriculture and land management in the Himalaya: implications for climate change adaptation and mitigation. Journal of Mountain Area Research, 1:40–52. https://journal.kiu.edu.pk/
- P. Lamsal, K. Atreya, K.P. Pant, and L. Kumar (2015). An analysis of willingness to pay for community-based conservation activities at the Ghodaghodi Lake Complex, Nepal. International Journal of Biodiversity Science, Ecosystem Services & Management, 11(4): 341-348. https://doi.org/10.1080/
- P. Lamsal, K.P. Pant, L. Kumar, and K. Atreya (2015). Sustainable livelihood through conservation of wetland resources – a case of economic benefits from Ghodaghodi Lake, western Nepal. Ecology and Society, 20(1): Art10. http://dx.doi.org/10.5751/ES-
- P. Lamsal, K.P. Pant, L. Kumar, and K. Atreya (2014). Diversity, uses, and threats in the Ghodaghodi lake complex, a Ramsar Site in western lowland Nepal. ISRN Biodiversity, Volume 2014, ID 680102, 12 pages. http://dx.doi.org/10.1155/
- K. Atreya, Bishal K. Sitaula and Roshan M. Bajracharya (2013). Distribution of health costs of pesticide use by household economy. Environment, Development and Sustainability, 15(3): 827-830. https://doi.org/10.1007/
- Erratum to: Distribution of health costs of pesticide use by household economy. Environment, Development and Sustainability, 15(5): 1403-1404. https://doi.org/10.1007/
- K. Atreya, Bishal K. Sitaula, Hans Overgaard, Roshan M. Bajracharya and Subodh Sharma (2012). Knowledge, attitude and practices of pesticide use and acetylcholinesterase depression among farm workers in Nepal. International Journal of Environmental Health Research, 22(5): 401-415. https://doi.org/10.1080/
- K. Atreya, Bishal K. Sitaula and Roshan M. Bajracharya (2012). Pesticide use in agriculture: The philosophy, complexities and opportunities. Scientific Research and Essays, 7(25): 2168-2173. https://doi.org/10.5897/SRE10.
- K. Atreya, Fred H. Johnsen and Bishal K. Sitaula (2012). Health and environmental costs of pesticide use in vegetable farming in Nepal. Environment, Development and Sustainability, 14: 477-493. https://doi.org/10.1007/
- K. Atreya, Bishal K. Sitaula, Fred H. Johnsen, and Roshan M. Bajracharya (2011). Continuing issues in the limitations of pesticide use in developing countries. Journal of Agricultural and Environmental Ethics, 24 (1): 49-62. https://doi.org/10.1007/
- K. Atreya and Bishal K. Sitaula (2010). Mancozeb: growing risk for agricultural communities? Himalayan Journal of Sciences, 6 (8): 9-10. http://dx.doi.org/10.3126/hjs.
- K. Atreya (2008). Health costs from short-term exposure to pesticides in Nepal. Social Science & Medicine, 67: 511-519. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.
- K. Atreya (2008). Probabilistic assessment of acute health symptoms related to pesticide use under intensified Nepalese agriculture. International Journal of Environmental Health Research, 18 (3): 187-208. https://doi.org/10.1080/
- K. Atreya, S. Sharma, R. M. Bajracharya, and N. P. Rajbhandari (2008). Developing a sustainable agro-system for central Nepal using reduced tillage and mulching. Journal of Environmental Management, 88: 547-555. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.
- K. Atreya (2007). Farmers’ willingness to pay for community integrated pest management training in Nepal. Agriculture and Human Values, 24 (3): 399-409. https://doi.org/10.1007/
- K. Atreya (2007). Pesticide use knowledge and practices: a gender differences in Nepal. Environmental Research, 104 (2): 305-311. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.
- K. Atreya, S. Panthee and P. Sharma (2006). Bacterial contamination of drinking water and the economic burden of illnesses for the Nepalese households. International Journal of Environmental Health Research, 16 (5): 385-390. https://doi.org/10.1080/
- K. Atreya, S. Sharma, R. M. Bajracharya, and N. P. Rajbhandari (2006). Applications of reduced tillage in hills of central Nepal. Soil and Tillage Research, 88 (1-2): 16-29. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.
- K. Atreya (2005). Health costs of pesticide use in a vegetable growing area, central mid-hills, Nepal. Himalayan Journal of Sciences, 3 (5): 81-84. http://dx.doi.org/10.3126/hjs.
- K. Atreya, S. Sharma, R. M. Bajracharya (2005). Minimization of soil and nutrient losses in the maize-based cropping systems in the mid-hills of central Nepal. Kathmandu University Journal of Science, Engineering and Technology, 1(1): 1-10. http://www.ku.edu.np/
Edited Books and Other Publications
- Atreya, K., D. Pyakurel, K. S. Thagunna, L. D. Bhatta, Y. Uprety, R. Kotru, B. N. Oli, S. Rimal, and R. P. Chaudhary (2017). Traditional agricultural and medicinal practices in the Kailash Sacred Landscape, Nepal. ICIMOD Working Paper 2017/12. ICIMOD, Kathmandu, Nepal. Available on: http://lib.icimod.org/record/
- P. Lamsal, K. Atreya, K. P. Pant and L. Kumar (2017). People’s dependency on wetlands: South Asian perspective with emphasis on Nepal. In: Prusty BAK, Chandra R and Azeez PA (Eds.), Wetland Science: Perspective from South Asia. Springer, India. Available on: https://link.springer.com/
- K. Atreya, B. K. Sitaula, and R. M. Bajracharya (2011). Rethinking pesticide use in agriculture: the complexities and opportunities. In: Natural Resource Management: Reviews and Research in the Himalayan Watersheds II. Pokhara, Nepal: Institute of Forestry, Tribhuvan University. pp 118-127.
- Roshan Man Bajracharya and K. Atreya (2009) Rewarding farmers for practices that lead to a net sequestration of carbon in agricultural and forest soils. In: Natural Resource Management: Reviews and Research in the Himalayan Watersheds. Pokhara, Nepal: Institute of Forestry, Tribhuvan University, pp 71-79.
- K. Atreya (2007). Pesticide use in Nepal: understanding health costs from short-term exposure. Working Paper 28, South Asian Network for Development and Environmental Economics (SANDEE), Kathmandu, Nepal. Available on http://www.sandeeonline.org/
- K. Atreya (2006). Pesticide use and human health (in Nepali). The Kavre Times, 10th July 2006 (Weekly Newspaper published from Nepal).
- K. Atreya (2005). Biogas: the potential clean fuel for Nepal. SANDEE Newsletter #10. Available on http://www.sandeeonline.org
- K. Atreya (2004). A pilot study on pesticide use, acute symptoms and willingness to pay for safer pesticides in a commercial area, Nepal. GDNet Document Store 2004. Available on http://www.gdnet.org/fulltext/
- “Gender dynamics in maize-migration nexus” (Principal Investigator, PI), 16 months project, Nov 2019- March 2021, grant received from the CGIAR Research Program MAIZE.
- “Occupational health, safety, and social impacts of pesticides” (PI), 6 months project, grant received from the International Labour Organization (ILO).
- “Pesticides and human health productivity” (PI), 2 years project, 2002-2004, grant received from the South Asian Network for Development and Environmental Economics (SANDEE).
- “Soil erosion and nutrient loss” (PI), 2 years project, 2000-2002, grant received from the International Maize and Wheat Improvement Centre (CIMMYT).
- Successful on providing research consultancy services to (i) Centre of Research for Environment, Energy and Water (CREEW), (ii) RECAST/ICIMOD; (iii) Department of Forestry and Soil Conservation, (iv) ILO, (v) ANSAB, (vi) Himalayan Climate Initiative, and (vii) Sustainable Soil Management Programme (SSMP/Helvetas).
Student Co-supervision (M.Sc./PhD)
- Govinda Bhandari (May 2016 – PhD Ongoing). Pesticides in Nepalese environment: assessment of residues and related risk. Research School for Socio-Economic and Natural Sciences of the Environment, Wageningen University, the Netherland. [PhD defense confirmed on Tuesday 02, February 2021]
- Pramod Lamsal (2018). Climate change impacts on the high-altitude ecosystem and biodiversity in Nepal and adjacent Himalaya. PhD Thesis. School of Environmental and Rural Science, University of New England, Armidale 2350, New South Wales, Australia.
- Yagya Raj Bhatt (2013). Implication of agroforestry system for soil carbon sequestration and livelihood in the mid-hills of Nepal. Master Degree Thesis. Department of International Environment and Development Studies, Norwegian University of Life Sciences, Norway. Available on http://hdl.handle.net/11250/
- Sudeep Karki (2010). System of rice intensification: an analysis of adoption and potential environmental benefits. Master Degree Thesis. Department of International Environment and Development Studies, Norwegian University of Life Sciences, Norway. Available on http://hdl.handle.net/11250/