Name: Bikash Adhikari
Position: Assistant Professor
Appointed Subject: Forest Management
Department: Social Forestry and Forest Management
Bikash Adhikari is involved in different researches on forestry, climate change and local institutions, ecosystem governance and process and politics around climate change and disaster related projects. His specific research interest lies on forest management, ecosystem services, governance of natural resources, process and politics of public policy, climate change and ecological resilience.
Mr. Adhikari has published in these fields that include peer reviewed journal articles, research book, policy briefs and research reports. In addition, he delivered about a dozen conference/workshop papers in Nepal, India, China and USA. Earlier, he had worked as a Researcher with ForestAction Nepal for more than four years. He had also worked with University of California Berkeley and University of Bergen in the research related to agro-ecological resilience at the base of the Himalayas. Mr. Adhikari is currently Assistant Professor of Forest Management at Institute of Forestry, Pokhara campus and involved in different research related to forest management, agro-ecological resilience, disaster risk management, food security, ecosystem services and livelihoods related research projects in Nepal.
|M.Sc.||2013||Institute of Forestry, Pokhara Campus Pokhara, Tribhuvan University|
|B. Sc.||2011||Tribhuvan University|
|Online course: Disaster and Ecosystem: Resilience in a Changing Climate||2015||United Nation Environment Program (UNEP) and Cologne University of Applied Sciences (CUAS)|
Areas of expertise:
- Thematic expertise areas: Forest Management, Natural Resource Management, Climate Change Adaptation and Resilience, Agro Ecological Change, Forest Policy and Practices.
- Key competencies: academic and semi-academic research; editing – books, journal articles, proceedings, methodologies, guidelines, toolkits; policy review and analysis; write-shops facilitation; project conceptualization and planning.
Professional engagements and Research:
|Researcher, ForestAction Nepal||· Overall leadership and team management on research and consulting projects
· Research Programs and projects development and execution
· Publications of journal articles, book chapters, policy briefs
· Community relations and stakeholder relations and communication
|· Thinking beyond REDD: Analyzing smallholders motivation and actions for ecosystem service management, 2016-2018, SLU, Sweden|
|· Disaster and traditional knowledge at the mid montane smallholder communities in Nepal, Firebird Fellowship 2017|
|· Post-disaster resilience and agro-ecological transition in Nepal, University of California, university of Bergon, 2016|
|· Climate Change and Rural Institutions – collaboration with Danish Institute of International Studies (DIIS), funded by DANIDA/Danish Fellowship Centre, 2012-2016. Researcher|
|· Community based adaptive learning in management of conflicts and natural resources in Bangladesh and Nepal (CALCNR), Jan 2014- Dec 2016, Middlesex University ,IDE Nepal, FHRC, Nice Foundation|
|· Enhancing Livelihoods and Food Security from Agroforestry and Community Forestry In Nepal (EnLiFT), ACIAR, 2013-2018|
|Evaluation||· Evaluation of Chire Pine gasification technology, Alternative Energy Promotion Centre, Government of Nepal, socio-economist analyst, 2015 (Ongoing)|
|· Evaluation of the project Reaching Poorest of the Poor for WWF Nepal. January, 2015 to March, 2015, Team Member- Socio Economist|
|Research fellow||· South Asia Institute of Advanced Studies in public policy|
|Journal editing||· Hamroo Ban Sampada: Nepali Journal of agriculture and forest policy|
|Journal of Forest and Livelihood: English Journal of agriculture and forest policy and Journal of Institute of Forestry|
|Recently Completed Projects||· Grassroots capacity building for Reducing Emission from Deforestation and Forest Degradation (REDD+) project in Nepal, RECOFTC, 2014-2015.|
|· Paying for Ecosystem Services Consequences and Alternatives (PECA), Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences, Sweden, April 2013 to Dec 2015|
|Mentoring of Research Fellows||Advisor and Co-advisor for the thesis of student at Tribhuvan University and Pokhara University, Nepal|
Policy briefs and policy reviews
- Responding to Landslides in Nepal: Adam Pain, Dil Bahadur Khatri, Hemant Ojha, Bikash Adhikari, Tikeshwari Joshi, Hari Dhungana and Niru Gurung: ForestAction policy brief.
- Investigating Limits of Institution to Adaptation: Insights from a Landslide case in the Nepal Himalayas, Hemant R Ojha, Dil B Khatri, Krishna K Shrestha, Adam Pain and Bikash Adhikari 2015 (submitted, under review)
- Epstein, K., J. DiCarlo, R. Marsh, B. Adhikari, D. Paudel, I. Ray, and I. E. Måren. 2018. Recovery and adaptation after the 2015 Nepal earthquakes: a smallholder household perspective. Ecology and Society 23(1):29.
- Khatri, D.B., Gurung, N., Adhikari, B. and Pain, A. 2015. The Production of Landslides Risks and Local Responses: A Case Study of Bhirkot, Dolakha District of Nepal. Case Study Report. Kathmandu: ForestAction Nepal and Southasia Institute of Advance Studies.
- Pain, , Adhikari, B., Dhungana. H., and Gurung, N. 2015. The Production of Landslides Risks and Local Responses: A case study of Bhoje Landslide, Lamjung District of Nepal. Case study Report. Kathmandu: ForestAction Nepal and Southasia Institute of Advance Studies.
- Ojha, H., Adhikari, B., Gurung, N., Khatri, D.B., Joshi, T., Dhungana, H., and Dhungana, S. 2015. The Production of Landslides Risks and Local Responses: A Case Study of Dhamilikuwa, Lamjung District of Case Study Report. Kathmandu: ForestAction Nepal and Southasia Institute of Advance Studies.
- Khatri, B., Joshi, T., Adhikari, B. and Pain, A. 2015. Climate Change Project Implementation in Lamjung: A Case of Hariyo Ban Project. Case Study Report. Kathmandu: ForestAction Nepal and Southasia Institute of Advance Studies.
- Khatri, D.B., Pain, A., and Adhikari, 2015. Disaster Response from a Donor Funded Project in Nepal: A case of a NGO implemented project in Dolakha district of Nepal. Case study Report. Kathmandu: ForestAction Nepal and Southasia Institute of Advance Studies.
- Khatri, D.B., Adhikari, B., & Pain, A. 2014. Bhirkot landslide case, Dolakha, Nepal (Working Draft 2014). ForestAction Nepal & Danish Institute for International Studies.
- Adhikari, B., and Khatri, D.B. 2014. Disaster Response from a Donor Funded Project in Nepal: A case of a NGO implemented project in Dolakha district. Journal of Forest and Livelihood.
- Many article published in different newspaper and newsletter published by different organization related to forestry, ecosystem services and community engagements.
- Publication of the book “Environmental Impact Assessment of Roads in Nuwakot District of Nepal”.
Thesis and dissertation
- M.Sc. Dissertation. Analyzing Ecosystem Service and Payment of Ecosystem Service (PES) in Rupa watershed: Using GIS and Economic Valuation Approach, Master Thesis 2013, a thesis submitted to Institute of Forestry, Pokhara, Nepal, Tribhuvan University.
Review and Editing work
- Editor/ reviewer for select issues of the Journal Forests and Livelihoods published by ForestAction Kathmandu, (select volumes, 2016)
- Reviewer/editor for select issues of the Journal Hamro Ban Sampada (Nepali text) published by ForestAction Kathmandu, (select volumes, 2016)
- Editor of Journal of Forestry and natural Resource Management, IOF, Pokhara Campus
Participation In International Training, Workshop And Seminars
|Training, Workshop, Seminar||Date& Venue||Organizer(s)|
|Resilience and Livelihoods at the base of Himalayas||Nov 9-11 2016, USA||University of California Berkeley, USA|
|Seminar Series on Himalaya, Climate Change and Development||2013-2016||British Academy|
|Training Course on Comprehensive technology in Agriculture for developing countries||Aug 12-Sep 12, 2016, China, Hunan||China-Aid and Hunan Agriculture group Co., Ltd.|
|International Conference on Mountains in Changing World,
|October 1-4, 2016, Kathmandu Nepal
|Kathmandu Institute of Applied Sciences|
|International Conference on Forests People and climate: changing Paradigm||Aug 28-30, 2013
|Tribhuvan University Institute of Forestry, Ministry of Forest and Soil conservation Government of Nepal and University of Copenhagen, Denmark|
|Training seminar on Applied Statistical Analysis with R for Forestry Studies||July 24-26 2013, Pokhara||Risk Analysis Research Centre, Institute of Statistical Mathematics, Japan and Tribhuvan University, Institute of Forestry, Pokhara, Nepal|
|International Training on Fundamentals of Ornithological Research||Nov 4-9 2013; Chitwan||Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences, Sweden|
|International Conference on Illegal felling meeting||March 14, 2012
|Ministry of Forest and Soil Conservation|
|Second Nepalese youth climate summit||August 16-18, 2010, Kathmandu, Nepal||Nepalese Youth For Climate Action|
Teaching and supervision
- Responsible for teaching Forest Management, Community Forestry, Climate Change and Community Based Forest Management Courses both at Bachelor and Master’s level at the Institute of Forestry, Pokhara.
- Supervising M.Sc. Theses, and B.Sc. Project Paper
- Carrying research on forestry, community and NRM
Department of Social Forestry and Forest Management
Tribhuvan University | Institute of Forestry | Pokhara Campus
Hariyokharka | Pokhara, Nepal | P.O Box: 43
Phone: +977-61-430469, 431689 | Fax: +977-61-430387 Cell: +977-9856033727
Email: [email protected]
Linkin Profile: https://www.linkedin.com/in/bikash-adhikari-93953869/